Some of the reasons people fall are:
- Tripping or slipping due to loss of footing or traction
- Safety hazards in the home
- Slow reflexes, which make it hard to keep your balance or move out of the way of a hazard
- Balance problems
- Reduced muscle strength
- Poor vision
- Taking medicines
- Drinking alcohol.
Illness and some medicines can make you feel dizzy, confused, or slow. Medicines that may increase the risk of falls are:
- Blood pressure pills
- Heart medicines
- Diuretics (water pills)
- Muscle relaxants
- Sleeping pills.
Drinking alcohol can lead to a fall because it can:
- Slow your reflexes
- Cause you to feel dizzy or sleepy
- Alter your balance
- Cause you to take risks that can lead to falls.